First Church of Roxbury's Putnam Chapel, Roxbury, MA

First Church of Roxbury's Putnam Chapel, Roxbury, MA

Originally built in 1876, the First Church of Roxbury's Putnam Chapel was in need of renovations in order to accommodate the church’s evolving program. Beginning with a capital needs study to establish immediate and long-term deficiencies, Davis Square Architects met with the community, performed studies, and shepherded the church through historical approvals.

The rehabilitation created two enclosed administrative offices as well as a conference room in the mezzanine area overlooking the chapel. At the main level, the stage was restored and flexible lighting was installed. Careful work was done to preserve the goals of the project in light of tight financial constraints.